Last Updated 26th March 2019
This policy applies across all websites that we own and operate and all services we provide, including clarity-hq.com (marketing website) and app.clarityhq.com (the Clarity application). For the purpose of this document, we’ll refer to them simply as our ‘services’.
Information you provide
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
We collect personal information when you register for an account, create or modify your profile, apply for a job, or otherwise use, access, or interact with our services. Personal information we collect for all users includes:
- Contact information such as name and email address
- An optional photo to attach to your profile
You may enter this information yourself, or alternatively, your name and email address may be entered by an account administrator to create an account on your behalf (usually someone from your organisation, or a trusted third party such as your accountant).
We also collect the following personal information from the owner of the Clarity account:
- Billing information such as credit card number and billing address.
- Contact phone number
- An optional mailing address
Other information that we collect for all users includes:
- Notification and marketing preferences
Clarity’s core activity is to provide services facilitating financial analysis and reporting on business entities such as companies, trusts etc and document verification. To provide this functionality, Clarity allows you to import into Clarity’s service:
- Accounting information related to an entity (eg. Chart of Accounts, Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet), and
- Documents related to the entity for verification and structured storage (eg. agreements, contracts etc).
This information can be entered manually, uploaded from a spreadsheet you provide or imported directly from third party services (eg. Xero, Intuit) where you have given us permission to do so. In the latter case we securely store access tokens which allow us to update the accounting information in Clarity on your behalf.
Information we collect from your usage of Clarity
As is true with most websites and services delivered over the Internet, we gather certain information and store it in log files when you interact with our websites and services.
This information includes browser type, internet protocol (IP) address, language preference, URL of referring site, operating system, and the date and time of each interaction. Some URLs you access may contain your email address as necessary to perform the requested operations, and therefore your email address would be stored in the log file.
Usage data & Analytics
We collect usage data automatically as you interact with our services. This data is useful for us as it helps us get a better understanding of how you’re using our websites and services so that we can continue to provide the best experience possible (e.g., by personalising the content you see).
This information may include search queries, pages you visit, information on the device you are using, features you use, actions you take etc.
Customer Support data
Clarity uses various third party service providers to help us provide customer support to our users. In the course of obtaining support you may provide personal information or other commercially confidential information required to resolve an issue. The communication may occur by web-form, through a pop-up chat service, via email or by phone. The communication, including any file attachments, may be stored by these service providers.
The communication may also be shared with the third party service from which you imported accounting information (eg. Xero, Intuit) for the purpose of troubleshooting and providing customer support.
Cookies & other tracking technologies
Clarity and our third party partners also use other tracking technologies like ‘web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels”). These are tiny images that may be used in our websites or in emails to help us count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Information we collect from other sources
How we use the information we collect
We don’t disclose your personal information to entities outside the Clarity group except as described in this policy.
We will not sell or rent your personal information.
We do not share your personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes (including direct marketing) without your consent.
The personal information we collect is used for a variety of purposes including to:
- Provide, operate, maintain, improve, and promote our services;
- Enable you to access and use our services, including uploading information, downloading reports, collaborating on reports and sharing access with other users;
- Process payments and send you related communications, including invoices;
- Send you notices, product updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages;
- Provide customer support and to help train support staff;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with Clarity Services and for marketing or advertising purposes;
- Personalize Clarity Services, including by providing content and features that match your interests and preferences;
- Send promotional communications, such as providing you with information about services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, promotions, contests, events and providing other news or information about us and our select partners. You have the ability to opt out of receiving any of these communications as described below under “Your Choices”;
- Understand user demographics and behaviour for the purpose of product development;
- Investigate and prevent unauthorised access to Clarity Services, and other illegal activities;
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Other uses of your information are outlined below.
Access by other users
Please be aware that, depending on their role, other users within your organisation’s Clarity account may have access to certain of your information. For example, a user with the ‘Administrator’ role, in your organisation’s account, can:
- See information relating to your usage of Clarity
- See content (eg. reports) that you have created
- View conversation and comments made in relation to content
- Change your access and control the information that is made available to you.
- Delete your information
As a natural result of using Clarity Services, you may create content (eg. a report) and share access with other users of Clarity for the purpose of collaboration. The collaboration features within Clarity may display personal information such as your name, photo or email. The content you create may also contain personal information or commercially confidential information. We urge you to use the various security and privacy settings (eg. roles and permissions) within the Clarity Services to limit those who can access this information.
We may display personal testimonials of satisfied customers within the Clarity Services. With your consent, we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us using the contact information below.
Third Party Service Providers
We may share your information with third party service providers who provide services to us to help with our business activities. These companies are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us. These services include payment processing, customer service, sending marketing communications, research and analysis, hosting, backup, cloud computing infrastructure.
Clarity takes steps to ensure that information is treated confidentially by third party service providers. If you would like more information on the services we use, please contact us using the contact information below.
Information Sharing with Public Authorities or Law Enforcement
In certain situations, Clarity may be required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We may also disclose your personal information as required by law or other circumstances, such as:
- to comply with a subpoena or other legal process;
- when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights;
- when we believe there has been a breach of our Terms of Service;
- to protect your safety or the safety of others;
- to investigate fraud, or
- in response to a lawful government request.
AdWords Remarketing is a remarketing service provided by Google. It connects the website visitor activity on www.Clarityhq.com with the Google Adwords advertising network. AdWords remarketing may display relevant ads on sites across the Internet, tailored to you based on what parts of the Clarity website you have viewed, by placing a cookie on your machine. Third-party vendors, including Google, use these cookies to serve the ads. You can opt out of that process at https://www.google.com/settings/ads
Aggregation of Analytic Information
We may use the personal information we collect about you and other users of our services to produce aggregated and anonymised analytics and reports, which we may publish or share with others.
You have certain rights relating to personal information about you that we hold. You have rights to:
- know what personal information we hold about you, and to ask us to correct or update it if you believe it’s incorrect or not current
- request a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- users in some jurisdictions may have additional rights, such as the right to request we cease using personal information or delete it
You can enquire about or exercise these rights by sending an email to email@example.com
Please note that if you seek deletion of personal information and you are not the owner of your Clarity account, you should first contact your account holder and ask them to remove your user account.
The length of time we retain personal information depends on what it is and whether we have an ongoing business need to retain it (for example, to provide you with a service you’ve requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When it comes to marketing communications, you can ask us not to send you these at any time – just follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in the marketing communication, or send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you may continue to receive messages with important information regarding your use of Clarity’s Services. For example this may include notification of changes to our terms of Service, password reset emails, scheduled report notifications etc.
Our data store and data infrastructure provider is located in Europe. Personal information from users in other jurisdictions will be transferred to, and stored and processed in, that location. We have taken steps to satisfy ourselves that our provider will manage and secure our data in a way that is consistent with applicable regulatory requirements and international best practice.
We may share or transfer your information (including your personal information) in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the Clarity website of any change in ownership or related uses or disclosures of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information in those circumstances.
Clarity Operations Ltd.
Suite 530, 105 London Street
RG1 4QD, UK.
An appropriate person within our organisation will consider any requests or complaints promptly, and respond to you in writing.